Letters to Luka
Now that more information has been confirmed about writing to Luka, I thought it would be fitting to post some info for those interested in writing to him.
His current address is:
c/o Riviere des Prairies Detention Centre
11900 avenue Armand Chaput
For anyone wanting to contact the prison for information, the phone number is:
Tips for writing to Luka:
- He cannot receive photos. Don’t bother sending any, as he won’t receive them.
- He can receive cards. Find one that appeals to him to make your letter catch his eye. (He likes animal prints.)
- He cannot receive stamps or stamped envelopes, but if you want to help him pay for postage, you can send him a money order in his name.
- Include your return address on the outside of the envelope; otherwise, it may not pass screening.
- Don’t come across as a media person in anyway. Luka is very distrustful of the media!
- Don’t talk about the case.
- Be sincere and supportive.
- Compliment his appearance – The most important thing to him!
- Don’t include sexually explicit material or swear words…it will just get blacked out.
- Tell him how often you plan to write and hold yourself to it. These penpal relationships are all he has right now.
- Tell him about yourself so he knows who is writing to him. While I’m sure he loves to hear how great he is, he needs a frame reference so you’ll be memorable to him.
- Try to relate to him. Mention mutual interests and life experiences.
- Tell him little things you’ve done for him, or because of him.
- Remember he is a real person, not just a fantasy. Don’t talk like you know him just because you have a fantasy of him in your mind.
- Don’t expect a reply. He gets many letters and can’t reply to them all, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t appreciate your support.